Humanities and the Arts HS Mission Statement
To provide all students with a safe and nurturing environment that promotes high expectations through academic rigor, exposure to the arts, and a college bound culture. Students will be provided with a core curriculum that is rich and rigorous which respects diversity in students’ learning styles. We have one guiding principle: Excellent Instruction in Every Classroom. We strive for our students to be college bound and prepared with the skills to succeed in the 21st century.
How We Accomplish This Mission
• We offer eight Advanced Placement courses, enabling students to earn college credits across content areas before graduating
• Our partnership with Queensborough Community College's Connect2College program enables students to take dual credit courses during their school day, earning both college and HS credits.
• Career Day, College Applications Week Workshops, College Trips across New York and to Washington DC, and Parent Nights support students as they explore and prepare for their future college and career plans.
• Trips take advantage of our location in a world-class city.
Our students have seen Hamilton, The Play That Goes Wrong, Wicked, and more on Broadway, as well as visited The New York Times offices, Cambridge University Press, the United Nations, One World Observatory, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and more!
• All students engage in an 8-10 credit arts sequence in visual arts, theater, or dance, culminating in an Arts Comprehensive Exam